Spend some quality time in this ancient county, and enjoy real farmhouse hospitality. Set in the midst of peaceful downland, Wiltshire is rich in historic interest with Avebury, Silbury Hill and Stonehenge standing out against the rolling green of Salisbury plain.
Spreading from the Cotswolds and Swindon in the north to the cathedral city of Salisbury in the south west, the county has some of the most beautiful canal side walks and cycling countryside in the UK. Walk the ancient Ridgeway Path or explore some magnificent historic houses and gardens – Longleat, Bowood House, Corsham Court, Stourhead, Longleat, Malmesbury Abbey, Lacock Abbey and Wilton House. Look out too for mysterious chalk horses cut into the hillsides.
Pulteney Bridge, Bath
Market towns like Bradford on Avon and picturesque villages like Castle Combe and Lacock are within easy reach of all the properties in this website. Old wool towns such as Malmesbury, Corsham and Devizes are worth seeking out. Nearby, we also boast the World Heritage city of Bath, also Salisbury, Bristol and Wells.
Once here, you’ll soon appreciate why much of Wiltshire is designated an area of outstanding natural beauty. You could even follow the film/TV trail of the many productions filmed in this locality. e.g. Pride & Prejudice. Dr Doolittle. Far From The Madding Crowd, and Moll Flanders.
Attractions in Wiltshire include the following:-.
- Bradford on Avon - Saxon Church, river and canal
- Castle Combe - Film location for Dr Doolittle
- Lacock Abbey - Films such as a ‘Pride & Prejudice’ and ‘Harry Potter’
- Bowood - House and gardens
- Stourhead - House and gardens
- Wilton - House and gardens
- Longleat - House, gardens and safari park
- Bath - Abbey, Roman baths, architecture and shopping
- Salisbury - Cathedral
- Bristol - SS Great Britain and dock area
- Wells - Cathedral
- Swindon - Swindon Designer Outlet and Steam Museum
- Westbury, Cherhill - White Horses carved in the hillside
- Malmesbury - Abbey and Gardens
Cherhill White Horse
There are important prehistoric sites at Stonehenge, Avebury, West Kennet and Longbarrow and there are often Crop Circles to be seen throughout the county.
Kennet & Avon Canal
There is a wide range of activities available and Wiltshire is an ideal base for your stay. If you have a more active holiday in mind, there are plenty of things to choose from.
- Cycling - Wiltshire Cycleway, Kennett & Avon Canal Towpath.
- Walking - Ridgeway, Macmillan Way, Thames Path, Cotswold Way.
- Golf - courses at Bowood, Castle Combe, Cumberwell.
- Motor Racing - Castle Combe circuit.
- Riding - many stables & livery yards.
- Boating & Fishing - Kennet & Avon Canal, River Avon & fishing lakes.
More details on the attractions and activities available in the area are available from web sites listed on our Links page